Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thankful on Paper : week two




This week I wrote to my mom. My mom lives 1,721 miles away from me, and I hate it. But even with all that distance between us, we are extremely close. I actually think we have become closer as the miles apart increased. Over the last 15 years, she and my step-dad have left everything behind (TWICE) to go where God has led them. Selfishly, I ask God (regularly) to lead them back to Southern California. :)

Growing up, my mom was pretty strict. She was the mom that wrote medical release forms for every outing I went on with friends (that's not embarrassing when you're 14...), would make me stop by her room to tell her when I got home every night (like I could sneak in anyways... how are moms such light sleepers?!), and would tell me countless things to which I would respond, "I know, Mom." But looking back, I am so grateful for all of those things because I know she did them out of genuine love and concern. And I will probably be guilty of doing the same with my kids!

In the last 5 years, my mom has become one of my closest friends. Through good times and bad, she has always been there for me, and she hasn't just listened... she's felt the joy and pain with me. She has always given me her honest opinion, even when it's not what I wanted to hear. She is extremely thoughtful, kind and has the highest integrity. I am so blessed to have her as my mom.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Oh, I feel your sadness... my mother and I are very close BUT very far away. She lives 6 hours away and I don't get to see her but a few times each year. I get to spend time at her ranch for Thanksgiving with my 3 kids and I'm SO looking forward to it!

Thank you for sharing!

grey rose (they/them) said...

what an awesome mama!
i live 1500 miles from my mom, and it IS hard sometimes, especially since we are actually friends now:)

thanks for sharing! xo

elsie said...

wow apparently we had the SAME mom! :) my mom is in Florida and I am in Southern Cal - it never stops being hard to have mom so far away...

Unknown said...

What a wonderful post. It's so great to hear someone so thankful for their Mum.
Unfortunately I can't begin to understand how difficult it must be to be so far away from your Mum. My Mum lives just 2 minutes away and I see her almost every day, if not we talk on the phone. She is my best friend and we do almost everything together.
Thanks for sharing your story :-)