Thursday, November 4, 2010

Thankful on Paper : week one




This month I am participating in "Thankful on Paper" which basically means that once a week, I tell someone -- on paper -- that I am thankful for them and why.

I started off by writing to my mother-in-law, Joan. She is an amazing woman. Besides the fact that she raised her son (my wonderful hubby) alone from the time he was a few months old, worked multiple jobs and went to school, all while making sure they had fun together, even though they didn't have money... she is one of the most generous and selfless people I know. She would and has dropped everything to help us out when we've been in a bind. She has played many roles: babysitter, nurse, personal shopper, chef and maid, just to name a few. I don't think the word "inconvenience" is in her vocabulary. She is happy to help in any way she can. Aside from all these wonderful things, she is also a strong woman of God and looks for any and every opportunity to minister and bless others, whether it be missions trips to Uganda or Mexico, or counseling a woman she meets at the local bakery. She has such a heart for people, and I am truly blessed to know her.

Thank you, Joan, for being such an incredible part of our lives.

9 comments:

Laura said...

Several people have written about their mother-in-law... that's awesome! I hope that when the day comes for my kids to marry that I'll be a supportive mother-in-law and not the stereotypical annoyance.

Cute blog!

Sandra said...

It sounds like you have a great mother-in-law. I hope that if I ever marry, my MIL will be a lot like Joan. Thanks for sharing!

grey rose (they/them) said...

what a special lady! thanks for sharing!

Megane said...

it's refreshing to hear about pleasant mother-in-laws. gives me some hope, and something to look forward to. haha!

Anonymous said...

Amazing Heather! Thank you for being a part :)

Joan said...

wow, I not only get a gorgeous card, but featured on your blog too? I am so thankful. Be lifted up by my daughter in lauve in the best....so wonderful....xo

Unknown said...

What a beautiful post! I am so excited to be reading all of these posts on thankfulness and especially about being thankful for our mothers-in-law!

It's so encouraging to read and know that I'm not the only one who loves my MIL!

Thanks for sharing
~Andrea

*Nikki* said...

what a small world..i know someone that is on a mission right now to uganda!
what a lovely letter!

Unknown said...

Loved hearing about your wonderful mother-in-law.
Love your blog and thanks for sharing :-)